Thursday, May 13, 2010

driving down the UK until...

i'm the little truckicita in the middle! rolling up for a break between the k's...

driving was all good, making great time, arrived in Dover just in time for the last ferry! and wha-BAM! no fuel. No worries! quick stop, car goes chug-a-lug... get through the border, in line for the ferry. Then my turn to turn on and go and - RRRR-RRR-RRR! No sparks. The ferry leaves, and we are abandoned amidst the expanse of concrete. Oh right, that might have been PETROL not Diesel!! Of course my cell phone is out of batteries, naturally. Run to the pay phone to call roadside assistance. "How will we find you?" "Well, I'm all alone in the middle of a huge empty parking lot and I have a trailer full of boats..." The tow-man arrived at 2300 hrs and towed me off to get drained at the local car dealership which was 45 mins away.
This dragon guarded me while I waited for the mechanic to siphon the engine.

All's well, some Great British Pounds exchanged hands, and I was off back to the ferry station. All the while having been "stamped" for entering France. I returned to the ferry parking lot at 0230 and waited for the next ferry at 0800.
it was a cold night at Dover no.7, I had to keep waking up and turning the engine on to keep warm about every 40 minutes...

No comments:

Post a Comment